Updated October 10 2010
Saturday July 24
The 2010 Sail Indonesia Rally got off to a great start at 1100 hours on Saturday 24 July with a 15-20 knot SE breeze following the fleet over the Start Line. The official starter was the Administrator of the Northern Territory His Honour Mr Tom Pauling. The Co-ordinating Minister for the Republic of Indonesia, Dr. H.R Agung Laksono and the Minister of Marine Affair,s Fadel Muhammad made the trip from Jakarta to join with the many supporters on the the start boat.
Start Line Honours for the Banda fleet went to Catspaw from the UK skippered by Peter Whitby. Start Line Honours for the Kupang fleet went to Blues from Sweden skippered by Bertil Nyberg. See photos from the start line here
By midday all yachts had cleared Darwin Harbour and were reportedly settling down to champagne sailing in 10-15 knots of breeze. The 100-strong fleet will stay together until they clear Bathurst Island, with the fleet going to Kupang proceeding in a W-NW direction, while the fleet going to Banda will continue on their northward journey. Yachts are expected to start arriving at each destination by Tuesday.
July 25
At 0800 on 25 July, the escort Indonesia Fisheries vessel Hui Macan Tutul 001 was located at 10° 08, 129° 49 about 40 nautical miles ahead of the Banda fleet.  Conditions were described as “classic Banda sea conditions” with a SE breeze of 10-15 knots and a following 1-2 metre swell.  All yachts in both fleets reported in at this morning’s sched, all having had a good night, and were progressing well.
At 1600 hours the Indonesian escort vessel Hui Macan Tutul 001 was located at 8° 57 S and 128° 54 E and approaching the first chain of islands in the Indonesian archipelago. Wind strength was over 25 knots from the south-east and expected to stay that way for a while.
July 26
At 08:30 this morning the Indonesian Fisheries Patrol vessel escorting the fleet to Banda was at 07° 41S and 130° 16E. They report ongoing 25 knot winds and rough conditions. Their ETA in Banda is 03:00 tomorrow morning. Australian yacht 64' Chancegger skippered by David Hill have steering damage and are making their way back to Cape Don north of Darwin. Australian Authorities are monitoring the situation. New Zealand yacht 42' Thyme skippered by Simon Anderson also had steering problems but are not in need of outside assistance, the Fisheries Patrol vessel is standing by. Thyme intend to shelter in the lee of of a small island north of Yamdena island overnight and effect repairs and are expected to be back on track tomorrow. At 1600 hours it was reported that weather conditions are easing and seas moderating.
July 28
Banda Route: Yachts in Banda at 0900 today include Anui, Camulle, Catspaw, Convergence, Cutting edge, Esprit, First light III, Harmonie, Intiaq, Island time, Miranda I, Orono I, Pegasus, Pricislla, Red Boomer, Story teller,Tocatta I. More yachts are expected later today.
Kupang Route: The following is the list of yachts arriving today: Thetis, Shivoo, Andiamo, Ballyhoo, Balu, Banik, Bien Aller, CharelleCoromandel Quest, Daedelus Too, Damarri, Do it, Gypsy Rose, Helios, Independent Freedom, Lotus, Mirage, Pelagos, Po' Oino Roa, Scot Free, September, Sisiutl, Son of the Sun, Tamoure, Thumbs Up, Willow, Tasha DM. There are still a handful of late starters yet to arrive. The Governor's dinner is on tonight.
Banda Route: The Indonesian Fisheries Patrol escort reached Banda at 04:00 this morning. Three yachts were already in port. Details not to hand. More news expected tomorrow morning.
Kupang Route: Sail Indonesia staff arrived in Kupang yesterday and this morning report the arrival of three yachts overnight: Katmandu, Suspense and Varlee. Also arrived today by 17:00 CST are Airstream, Ajax, Amulet, Apsara, Black Pearl, Blues, Cardea ,Chantilly, Cognac, Dreamweaver, Heartsong, Hilde, Larissa, Marnie, Meroe, Nan Fong, Pro's Per Aim, Scarlett O'Hara, Second Wind, Tea, Whispher HR.
Arrival in Kupang 27th July
The first yachts arrived in the early hours of the morning. They dropped anchor in the front of Teddy's Beachfront Hotel and caught up on some sleep, waiting for the dawn and instructions from the shore party. The shore party had arrived from Darwin the night before and figured the first yachts would start arriving through the night. Sure enough, in the morning, they looked out and were greeted by the sight of several yachts anchored, including a gray Catamaran called 'Varlee', a single-hander, who was joining the Rally for the second time since 2007. The yachts were very different from the Indonesian-style fishing prahu that were at the anchorage.

At 8:30, to everyone's great delight, several cars arrived at the car park at Teddy's, and Quarantine Officers in yellow uniforms stepped out. Carrying typewriters and mountains of paperwork in boxes, they politely greeted the shore party and headed over to the Pantai Laut where they set up their office. They were joined shortly by Immigration Officials dressed smartly in white and representatives from the Harbormaster in navy blue. Finally, Customs arrived in their dark blue uniforms. Before everyone knew it, the Customs, Immigration, Quarantine and Ports office (CIQP) was operational and all the officials were ready to start inwards clearances.

Firstly Quarantine needed to do a physical inspection of each yacht and initially, however they did not have a boat to carry them. After discussions with the Sail Indonesia shore party, it was decided that two skippers would come ashore and escort CIQP back to their respective yachts for inspection. Then, CIQP would be ferried from yacht to yacht. CIQP stood ready on the beach, complete with life-jackets and surgical masks. But at the very last minute, an Indonesian police boat arrived, and Customs Officials herded everybody into the police boat and it headed out. The skippers who had been previously instructed to come ashore were slightly confused but very understanding, and everyone in the fleet returned to the proven method of waving madly at the passing police boat containing CIQP, to attract their attention and get boarded for inspection.

The clearance process then ran very smoothly, with crews coming ashore to report to the field office. As usual it was a long and slightly confusing process, with lots of paperwork and overlapping regulations. Some yachties became confused, as they were required to report twice to Quarantine, even after the physical inspection of their yachts had taken place. However, everyone was very patient and the system was running relatively smoothly. There was only one payment to be made, to Quarantine an amount of Rp 210,000 around 20 USD and that was clearly communicated via radio on channel 77, so everyone was very happy.

July 28
Banda Route:
Yachts in Banda at 0900 today included Anui, Camille, Catspaw, Convergence, Cutting edge, Esprit, First light III, Harmonie, Intiaq, Island time, Miranda I, Orono I, Pegasus, Pricislla, Red Boomer, Story teller,Tocatta I. More yachts are expected later today.
Kupang Route: The following is the list of yachts arriving today: Thetis, Shivoo, Andiamo, Ballyhoo, Balu, Banik, Bien Aller, CharelleCoromandel Quest, Daedelus Too, Damarri, Do it, Gypsy Rose, Helios, Independent Freedom, Lotus, Mirage, Pelagos, Po' Oino Roa, Scot Free, September, Sisiutl, Son of the Sun, Tamoure, Thumbs Up, Willow, Tasha DM. There are still a handful of late starters yet to arrive.
The clearance process continued and yachts continued to arrive.
It was announced by the local committee that in addition to the next scheduled program in Alor that an alternative route option for yachts who wished to visit Rote Island, Sabu and Sumba instead. People became confused and asked the shore party from Darwin, "where are we expected to go?" "Is Alor worth the two day journey northeast?" "Alor and Rote are both scheduled for the 3rd of August - which destination is more worthwhile?" The answer was simply this: you are able to pick and choose your own destination. Alor is wonderful, but if you want to go surfing, perhaps you should check out Rote. Follow whichever route you like, but remember that the local committee are not sailors and please, take great care navigating these waters, the anchorages may not be ideal.

There were a number of yachts in Kupang still looking for Tide Tables for the area, and they were directed to the nearest WARNET (internet cafe) and asked to revisit our web site www.sailindonesia.net where they would find a link to free tide tables. It would not be the last time participants would need to consult the web site while in-country.

The best part about the day was the Governor's welcome dinner. It was truly something else. Details remained unclear throughout the day - the only information we had was that buses would escort participants at 6pm to Subasuka, a new beach side development approximately 8 kilometres from the anchorage - but as the sunset and the buses arrived, no one was prepared what the night would bring. Many participants were invited on stage and received traditional cloths as welcome gifts. The tables were covered in elegant red table cloths, with glasses, plates, cutlery and complimentary water set out beautifully. Soft music was playing in the background. The presentation and dinner was remarkable. Everyone was so grateful and happy for the welcome and there were even fireworks. Afterwards, everyone danced on the dance floor in front of the stage with a mixture of traditional music and soft reggae playing.
July 29
Local government officials arrived at the anchorage and began handing out small, glossy booklets full of photos - similar to the booklets handed out in Darwin at the technical briefing - put together by regional and provincial governments to promote their islands as a marine tourism destination, but these booklets did not contain any real useful information for navigation. Still, it did create some problems among the fleet when these booklets ran out. Some yachties became very confused because, according to the booklet, the route seemed to pass along the southern shore of Flores, which is terribly exposed and not ideal for cruising. The shore party from Darwin yet again directed everyone back to information given to them in darwin and the Sail Indonesia web site and told them to look at the Schedule Of Events which very clearly takes yachts along the northern side of Flores. These booklets were merely local promotional material and by no means did the people writing them have any understanding of cruising and nor did they represent Sail Indonesia. The core of the event was still contained as detailed on our web site.

There was a disagreement in Kupang today between one of the yachts skippers and the Kupang Dinghy Service. It seems participants weren't given a choice as to whether to engage their services or not, and they were charging RP 40,000 a day, almost double the figures estimated in Darwin. By the end of today, the price had come down to 30,000, but it seems the lesson for participants next year is if the price does not seem fair, negotiate - but keep in mind, they are providing a valuable service and they are poor and besides, it's not unreasonable to pay for such convenient beach access.

Banda Route: More arrivals in Banda include Bernick, Cheeca Bey, Erica, Intiaq, Finale, Fleck, Linda, Magnetic, Metana, Mr Percival, Nirai, Sassoon, Savahn, Tara II, Thula Mama, Tin Soldier, Umbra Luna. The yacht Thyme is expected to arrive early this evening.
Kupang Route: More arrivals in Kupang include La Palapa, Victory Cat, Bluestone, Amazing Grace, Sunray II. No more yachts are expected today.
July 29
This year the hot item was USB 'dongles' that plug into the side of laptops and combined with a SIM card, that give the user access to the Internet. WIFI was available at the Pantai Laut and at the Hotel Lavalon - items that seem to have changed cruising in many ways. After consulting with locals, it was established that these 'dongles' are available in Kupang and could be picked up for around 60 Australian dollars. There was a place inside for a SIM card and crews were running around buying credit and getting themselves organised.

Today, there was also confusion regarding a tour that had been organised, but the shore party knew nothing about. Therefore, there was no information available on the morning radio sched, and participants were eager to venture out of Kupang and join the tour. Eventually, the tour happened and people enjoyed it, but there was a lot of standing around and waiting - and tempers flaring - because people had been told there was a tour ... but in typical Indonesian fashion, it was all left to the last minute and nothing appeared certain.
The clearance contininued today, and we were entertained by a local catching cuttlefish at the river entrance next to the Pantai Laut bar.
In the evening the Mayor's dinner was a lovely event, and unlike the Governor's dinner, the Mayor's dinner was right there at the anchorage - at the Pantai Laut, which really suited the yachties. None of them wanted to venture too far from home. It was more 'low-key' than the Governor's dinner, but very much appreciated by participants, with live music and traditional dancing. At this function the organizers from Darwin gave out prizes for the start - the Best Dressed Yacht, Best Dressed Crew and the First Yacht Over the Start Line Under Sail

July 30
There was disbelief this morning in Kupang when, on the radio, one of the yachters came over and told everyone that 5 million Rupiah was missing from his boat. The assumption was that last night, while everyone was on shore, an opportunistic thief had taken advantage of the situation and raided the yacht. Everyone was shocked, but people more familiar with Kupang were in disbelief. Nothing like that had EVER happened in Kupang before. No money stolen. No yachts boarded. Nothing like that. When the locals found out, they were genuinely upset and disappointed.
By noon, the fleet was notified that the money 'had been recovered', but the yachtie concerned was not prepared to go into details. It was his belief that everyone should be cautious anyway, even if the 'theft' had not happened. He was prepared to let everyone go on thinking the money had been stolen by a local as a tale of caution to other visiting yachties. But organisers were not prepared to allow Kupang's reputation to be tarnished in such a way. It was not fair on the honest people of Kupang. Year after year, Kupang provides a safe, welcoming, humble reception for visiting yachties. Was the way to repay such kindness to allow a lie to be perpetuated that painted the people of Kupang with a foul brush?
The next morning on the Kupang Radio radio sched, the fleet were informed that yesterday's announcement - the apparent theft - had not been a theft at all.
Banda Route: Thyme arrived during the night and Aria arrived early today.

July 30
Today, the shore party prepared for departure and the remaining yachts were either waiting for welding to be finished or simply taking their time before leaving for the second destination either Alor or Rote. As the numbers of yachts anchored in front of Teddy's dwindled, it was apparent that once again, the people of Kupang had given the participants of Sail Indonesia a truly warm welcome to Indonesia. It was over too soon. Thank you, Kupang and see you in 2011.

August 1
News from Kupang:
Yachts are now starting to depart Kupang for the next destinations on the Sail Indonesia route. The first places of call are either the town of Baa on Rote Island to the SW of Kupang or the town of Kalabahi on Alor Island, 120 NM NE of Kupang. In both locations there will be festivities including receptions, cultural events and tours from 3-6 August, before then proceeding onto Lembata and Ende on Flores Island. About 20 yachts are expected to go to Rote Island and some of this fleet will also visit Sumba and Savu Islands. The remainder of the fleet are heading for the Alor destination.
All yachts are sorry to be leaving Kupang, having experienced a most wonderful welcome from the Gubenor of Nusa Tengara Timor, The Mayor of Kupang and the people of Kupang. Many yachties also took advantage of the free tours provided by the Tourism Department to places such as Soe in the mountains, describing the tour as one of the most amazing trips of their life. Others have taken the opportunity to visit the local orphanage to provide support and assistance in their endeavours to provide a safe and secure life for children in their care.
The inwards clearance process (CIQP) into Indonesia at Kupang was friendly, efficient and fast and all yachties have reported this very favourably. The Rally Office in Kupang will be closing today as the yachts move onto other destinations along the route. Any late Rally yachts arriving into Kupang after today will need to go to the Port of Tenau (about 2 miles south of the Rally anchorage) to clear into the country. Customs, Immigration, Quarantine and the Harbour Master in Kupang are awaiting their arrival.
August 2
25 yachts have arrived in Ambon from Banda. The President of Indonesia arrived in Ambon and hosted a functionand dinner for Sail Indonesia , photographs will be on our website in December.
The account and details below have been provided by Chris and Nancy Zingler from the 2010 yacht Amulet.
Kupang is a dirty, crowded, exciting, energetic and friendly place. Ride the local Bemo (small van buses) to anywhere for23 US cents and a thrill. The locals really welcomed us with two free official dinners under the stars with entertainment, one sponsored by the governor and one by the mayor. The best though was a free bus trip up to a remote mountain village by a lake. About 1500 locals dressed in their finest all with smiling faces met us for a day of feasting and dancing. About a mile from the village they lined the road with handmade flags on stakes every 50' welcoming us!! It doesn't get any better. The only problem was the rally organizers didn't know what was going on so only about 30 of the 120 cruisers found out about it word of mouth the night before and went. Really quite embarrassing given all the trouble the village went to. (from Yacht Amulet)
Kalabahi 08° 13.215, 124° 30.873
Kalabahi the capital of Alor was a smaller and dirtier (if that's possible) version of Kupang. The harbor was particularly trashy as it's at the end of a deep bay and doesn't flush as well as Kupang. The locals throw everything into the water. That was OK 100 years ago but most of the trash these days is not degradable. What doesn't float sinks as one rally boat found out when he dragged anchor and found a large rice bag on the anchor. Luckily he had just gone ashore and we were able to call out to him and his boat missed the other anchored boats. Kalabahi is a natural harbor and the commerce center for the region. Overloaded local boats and small ships came and went at all hours.
The locals built a floating dinghy dock which was appreciated. The dinghy dock boys were helpful and on the last day just asked for a donation, no fixed daily fee like Kupang. The Regent (like a governor I think) gave a gala dinner party at his large residence. He and his wife were gracious and friendly hosts, very approachable. There was also a daytime cultural contest on a stage right at the anchorage.
Diesel was a little cheaper than at Kupang but I was shorted about 10% and never did get all my change back. They don't seem to understand the concept of change in Indonesia. No free tours were offered and the tour guy (also the diesel guy) was shifty and not very honest in my opinion. We were told there was excellent diving in Alor, one of the reasons we went there but nothing was arranged or available they said. With the strong currents in the passages and poor anchoring we didn't try by ourselves. (from Yacht Amulet)

Wangi Wangi
Stayed at Wangi Wangi for 11 days, we were the 4th boat to arrive and luckily not the first, eventually about 25 would arrive. Despite the rally organiser Raymond saying there would be 100 moorings none were seen, a few days later they laid a half dozen outside the reef. The anchorage at Wangi Wangi is inside a reef which is not shown on C-Map or the local Indonesian chart. We arrived at 0700, about high tide and didn't know what to do, we saw the other boats anchored inside the reef and the reef looked deep enough to possibly go over. Gino the local everything guy wasn't on the VHF yet. Luckily another cruiser saw us and told us how to enter the lagoon behind the reef. The waypoints we took are, ( 1) 05° 19.600, 123° 31.768, between two steel poles, 10.5 feet deep at high water (+2.1m) and (2) 05° 19.578, 123° 31.852, Single pole with flags, keep close (30') to starboard Proceed about 100' past the single pole then turn to the right. We anchored at 05° 19.790, 123° 32.050, 35' over sand.
We were made welcomed and the port check-in was painless and organized by Gino. They were having parades the next two days and we were invited to view them at the Bupati Regent's (local Governor) home. The next day they asked if the cruisers would like to march in the parade. We put together a rag-tag group and marched displaying our national flags; USA x 3, Canada and Australia. The 40,000 people lining the streets loved us. As we passed the governor's house all the officials stood and returned our salute and waved with big smiles. They had teenage "guides" waiting to show us around and interpret, no payment they just wanted to practice their English. We invited two guide girls out to the boat to show our appreciation. We felt very welcomed indeed.
Wakatobi is a marine park consisting of 4 islands whose initials make up the name. We envisioned a small sleepy village not the busy and overpopulated Wangi Wangi which is the main commerce center for Wakatobi. They have 3 markets spread around, a morning, mid-day and night time market. The night time one is the most fun and you can eat your fill of prepared food and snacks for very little money. None of the vendors tried to rip us off, refreshing. Overall the food in Indonesia is very good and some of the snacks and donuts osting 12 US cents from the street vendors are good.
We did a few scuba dives on the reefs near the anchorage and they were pretty good. Lots of fish and mostly live coral. There's less trash in the water here as the population is beginning to realize they have something worth protecting and dive tourism is just beginning to take hold.
The yachts had trouble sleeping with the early morning prayers from the mosque noise so some yachts left after a only few days.
The government sponsored a free dinner and cultural dance show at a new resort, which included the usual food, dances speeches and such. The next day they invited the cruisers to a cultural festival being held as part of their Independence Day celebrations. The celebration abruptly ended when protestors began destroying one of the props, protesting among other things they resented the money the government was spending on the visiting yachts and that we were eating during the day, was Ramadan is against their religion of Islam. The cruisers were escorted by the police back to the boats and were advised to stay onboard that night. The next day was Independence Day August 17 with more celebrations planned, but about 1/2 of the boats left in the morning. We were supposed to participate in the underwater ceremony and had attended two practice sessions but felt it best we not attend any more public events, a few others went and had no problems. We finally went ashore briefly to pick up a few snacks (including more donuts) and clear out with the officials, the next morning we left as did the remaining boats. A sad ending to an otherwise good stay.
One common complaint was the very loud music from the local bands at all hours of the day and night as well as from the loudspeakers on the many Mosques near the anchorage which made sleeping at night difficult.
The 300 mile passage to our current location of Bau Bau was easy with light winds and mostly smooth seas. We were by ourselves as the rally group broke up and went in different directions. The next stop for the Banda group was Bau Bau which is a large city and in the past cruising boats have had problems there. We didn't see much reason to go there. (from Yacht Amulet)

Labuan Bajo, Flores
Labuan Bajo is a place best to get in, get supplies then leave. They have some tourism, mostly backpackers, and many local boats and dive boats to cater to them. The place is dirty and crumbling. The check in with the port captain went smoothly and no money was asked for. Sleeping was better than in Wangi Wangi as the mosque must have turned down it's speakers at night, maybe for the many western tourists that visit the town, but boats come and go all night with no mufflers and some rather big ferries as well. We took a Bemo (van) to the morning market, cost ended up being Rp 2,000 each person much more was asked for at the start of around Rp 30,000 and the port captain said it should be 500. Apparently they have a "tourist" fare, the market was pretty good and we didn't feel too ripped off, melons Rp 25,000 or $2.77 US 10 bananas for Rp 5,000 or 55 US cents onions 17,000/kg or 86 US cents , green beans Rp16,000/kg, carrots Rp18,000 kg Every place we have been to in Indonesia has really nice and large cucumbers. (from Yacht Amulet)
Loh Buaya, Rinca
Loh Buaya is the entrance to ranger station for the Komodo Nation Park on Rinca Island. There's also a similar set-up on Komodo Island. Entrance fees were as follows, $15 US per person for 1-3 days or $25 US per person for 4-8 days
They preferred these to be paid in US dollars! If not then the exchange rate they would apply would be very unfavourable to us so we went back to the boat and got some US dollars. Plus: RP 12,000 anchoring fee, not sure if this was per day but we only paid Rp12,000
Rp 40,000 Rp fee per person for something else, not sure what, the receipts are in Indonesian. these fees they wanted paid for in Rupiahs but we convinced them to apply the exchange rate posted and paid in US dollars. Very Indonesian and complicated way of charging.
Later boats reported additional fees for cameras, snorkelling and diving were collected!!!
The entrance fee includes a guided tour which took about 1.5 hours. Our guide a young Indonesian college girl named Yadi, a young man who spoke reasonably good English. Yadi was very good, taking time to explain things and was very knowledgeable, we tipped him well. We saw many Komodo Dragons, the biggest and oldest (35 years) was about 9' long. They breed once a year, bury the eggs which hatch 7-8 months later. Due to the high temperatures here during the incubation period 3 times as many males hatch as do females. The young dragons will be eaten by most everything on the island including the older Komodo Dragons so they take to the trees. Only about 15percent of the 15-30 eggs laid will survive to adult hood. Komodo Dragons are carnivorous and will attack practically everything else on the island if given a chance. We saw water buffalo's, wild boar and many monkeys. They also have deer but we didn't see any. Except for the monkeys which are too quick and clever all are a food source for thr dragons.
When returning to the dinghy we stopped at the end of the dock on a raised platform to take off our shoes. There was a Komodo Dragon about 20 feet away, apparently sleeping. While removing my socks I dangled my feet off the platform and almost immediately the Dragon woke up and started wandering towards me. The locals on the platform got excited and broke down the language barrier telling me to raise my feet! Then the dragon stopped and laid down right near the platform. How to get off the platform down the dock to our dinghy became the question. We had telescoping walking sticks with us and I was able to shoo it away so we could make a bee-line down the dock.
Anchoring near the dock was good and peaceful and a little windy which was nice for sleeping. (from Yacht Amulet)
Pink Beach, Komodo Island 08° 36.191, 119° 31.659
The first morning on the park mooring we were woken up at 06:30 by a large local tourist boat who wanted us to vacate the mooring. We said no, we had paid our mooring fee and were told they were public moorings, he wasn't happy but finally went away. The second morning nobody bothered us.
We went for a scuba dive nearby and it was ok, not great, a few sights and some interesting creatures.Sailed slowly at first this morning then motored most of the way to this "Pink" Beach anchorage, lots of current but no "Pink" beach can be seen. (from Yacht Amulet)
Bat Island. Komodo Island 08° 36.737, 119° 29.119
When the current changed and the afternoon SW sea breeze came up against it the last anchorage became uncomfortable so we moved to Bat Island, so named for the many fruit bats that inhabit the mangroves here. At sunset they take off for their night time foraging. This is a peaceful current free anchorage. About 6 small backpacker type tourist boats came in for the night and there's one other sailboat here, Chesire Cat a Morris 48.
This area has lots of local boats which approach before the anchor hits the bottom to sell souvenirs, after a while they are a bother as they don't understand "NO" even Indonesian "Tidak"! We bought a couple of small carved wooden Komodo dragons from one. Afterwards then they start asking outright for stuff I guess other boats have given away, T-shirts, sunglasses, hats, etc.
Our policy is we don't give away much without some service or trade in return; the exception is school supplies to small school kids or more usually their teachers. When we were in Wakatobi one cruiser we saw started handing out children's clothes in the middle of the outdoor market right next to a stall trying to sell kids clothes, how disgraceful. Some people think they are doing something good by turning the world's poorer people into beggars with no self esteem. (from Yacht Amulet)
North Komodo Island 08° 29.607, 119° 33.077
Bat Island was a peaceful anchorage, once the souvenir boats realized we weren't buying anything else. With the strong currents we decided to give snorkeling or diving around "Pink Beach" a miss and find someplace quiet.
So far this anchorage on the north side of Komodo Island seems to be ideal to spend a few days to relax and do some chores on Amulet. There's no village to be seen and so far in the 1 hour since we picked up the mooring no souvenir boats have arrived. (from Yacht Amulet)
Palau Gil Banta 08° 25.574, 119° 19.496
North Komodo Island, the. anchorage was very good and peaceful. Two "souvenir" boats I guess claim the anchorage and after the first day left us alone, but when "Convergence" came in they descended on them. We went for several drift snorkels through the pass between Komodo I. and the next island north and the water was clear and the coral and fish very good. Today we decided to dive the large seamount in the bay out of the current. It was only OK and devoid of most colour except brown, we did see three turtles though and some interesting fish and some unusual brown types of coral. About halfway around the seamount our dive was interrupted by the park police boat who wanted to see our papers, right away!! We terminated the dive swam back to the dinghy, now a long way off on the other side of the seamount and returned to AMULET to show them our receipt. They had automatic weapons so we didn't ague too much just enough to let them know we were not happy.
Well it seems our 3 day park pass had expired 2 days ago we thought we had an 8 day pass and they wanted a lot of money to renew it retroactively or we would have to leave immediately. We decided to leave and did as quickly as we could. So ended our Komodo Park experience. We experienced OK diving but not the world class diving we'd hoped for.
We motored 16 nm to our present anchorage on the SE corner of Pulau Gil Banta Island. We hope this is outside the park area. This protected anchorage seems really nice and there's a large sandy patch 17-25' deep that could accommodate about 4 boats. There seems to be some nice coral nearby and we may stay here a couple of days to check it out. There are C-Map offsets for this anchorage and they seem seem to be Lat -0.18, Lon +0.20. (from Yacht Amulet)

2010 Sail Indonesia - Sail Banda Participants
  Yacht Name Nationality Design
Airstream USA Wauquiez Centurion 42
Bill Wickman Kupang
Ajax New Zealand Ganley
Mark Huggins Kupang
Akar Bahar Indonesia Lagoon 500
Petrus Rinto Fernandus Banda
Amazing Grace United Kingdom Island Packet
Tony Andeson Kupang
Amulet USA Custom Ted Brewer
Chris Zingler Banda
Andiamo II Australia Hallberg Rassy
Russ Delahaye Kupang
Anui Australia Crowther
Scott Armstrong Banda
Aria Australia Mottle 33
Bruce Greaves Banda
Aspara Cayman Islands German Freers Swan 56
Barrie Elsbury Kupang
Ballyhoo Australia Sparkman and Stevens
Robert O'Hagan Kupang
Balu United Kingdom Van de Stadt Caribbean
James Stewart Kupang
Banik France Banik
Jean-Baptiste Delannoy Kupang
Baraka USA Slocum 43
David Pryde Banda
Bernick France Antina Ketch
Jean-Pierre Duquenne Banda
Bien Aller France Jeanneau
Pierre Capet Kupang
Black Pearl Austria Irwin 52
Johann Werner Kupang
Blues Sweden Beneteu 50
Bertil Nyberg Kupang
Bluestone Australia Wilf O'Kell Ketch
Neil Arnold Banda
Camille United Kingdom Crowther Catana 43
Peter Boardman Banda
Cardea USA Vagabond
Jim Todd Kupang
Catamini Vanuatu Island Spirit
Roger Denis Banda
Catspaw United Kingdom GibSea
Peter Whitby Banda
Chancegger Australia Briton Chance
David Hill Banda
Chantilly Australia Bavaria 46
Kevin Hall Banda
Charelle Australia Wright Custom C. Cockpit
Campbell Haigh Kupang
Cheeca Bey France Ovni 43
Lucien Lirsac Banda
Code Zero Australia Woodward
Kenneth Btyce Kupang
Cognac Australia John Pugh Windstar
Robert Hennessey Kupang
Convergence USA Wylie 66
Randy Repass Banda
Coromandel Quest United Kingdom Nicholson 35
Linda Lane Thornton Kupang
Cutting Edge Australia Seawind 1000
Peter Bowman Banda
Daedalus Too Australia Grainger
Gerd Kiefer Kupang
Damarri United Kingdom Alan Pape No 242C
Paul Jeffries Kupang
Do It United Kingdom Petit Prince
Angus Ross-Thomson Kupang
Dreamweaver Australia Adams/Radford
John Langridge Kupang
Erica New Zealand Eric Gray
Eric Gray Banda
Esprit USA Kelly Peterson46
Chay McWilliam Banda
Finale United Kingdom Holman and Pye 45
Michael David Banda
First Light III Australia Adams 12
Bernard McGoldrick Banda
Fleck United Kingdom Vancouver 34
Richard Blunt Banda
Gracetown Australia Duncanson
Christine Covich Banda
Gypsy Rose Australia Jack Savage Oceanic
Peter Vermeij Kupang
Harmonie USA Amel Super Maramu
Don Myers Banda
Heartsong III USA Hylas 54
Stu Elliot Kupang
Helios Germany Sonate Ovni 43
Olav Wedderer Kupang
Hilde Norway Bavaria 42 Cruiser
Finn Fagervik Kupang
Huayra Argentina Hofman
Marisa Bianco Kupang
Independent Freedom United Kingdom Freedom 39 PH Schooner
Steve Evans Kupang
Intiaq Switzerland Catana 471
Jean François Rossat Banda
Island Time New Zealand Farr Phase 4
Matt Paulin Banda
Katmandu Italy VR 54 Vallicelli
Renato Frigerio Kupang
La Palapa USA Catalina/Morgan 440
Roger Hayward Kupang
Larissa New Zealand Alan Wright
Mark Domney Kupang
Linda USA 1957 Rhodes Bounty II
Steve Maggart Banda
Lotus USA Custom Steel
Jerry Reid Kupang
Magnetic New Zealand Hartly RORC
Trevor Clark Banda
Maria Lena Canada Wauquiez Amphitrite
Brian Burnett Kupang
Marnie USA Al Mason
Walter Page Kupang
Meroe France Amel Super Maramu
Francois Tabourdeau Kupang
Metana Australia Bennateau 390
Daryl Nelson Banda
Mirage Australia Beneteau
David Hogarth Kupang
Miranda I Australia Cheoy Lee
Geoff Birch Banda
Mister Percival United Kingdom Robert Tucker Rolling Wave
Peter Royston Banda
Moontan Australia Elite 11 Catamaran
Shaun Ossinger Banda
Nan Fong France Soubise 50
José Lianes Kupang
Nirai Japan Adams
Shige Asao Banda
Orono 1 Australia Privilige
Peter Vibral Banda
Pegasus United Kingdom Atlantic 46
Jason Lawrence Banda
Pelagos France Sun Kiss 47
Elian Bouenou Kupang
Po'oino roa USA Kelly Peterson
Kathy McGraw Kupang
Priscilla USA Taswell 49
Tom Foley Banda
Pro's Per Aim France Ovni 395
Guy Breard Kupang
Rasa Manis USA Nordic 44
Tom Alexander Banda
Red Boomer II Australia Randell Cruising Ketch
Bill McNeil Banda
Saltotu Australia Boro Hard Chine
Ralph Kuhlwind Banda
Sassoon Australia Jon Sayer
Dave Gunn Banda
SaVahn United Kingdom Bowman 47
Fiona Kidd Banda
Scarlett O'Hara USA Serendipty
John R Prentice Kupang
Scot Free Australia Perry
Iain White Kupang
Second Wind USA C&C Landfall 48
Bill Heumann Kupang
September Austria Prout Snowgoose 37
Johan Raith Kupang
Shivoo Australia Nantucket Islander 33
Bridie O'Reilly Kupang
Sisiutl USA Gulf Star MKII
Bob Bechler Kupang
Son of the Sun Germany Wauquiez
Franz Kroeplien Kupang
Spirit of Sobroan Australia Spray Replica
Garry Goldsworthy Kupang
Squall Cayman Islands Perini Navi
Richard Le Quesne Banda
Storyteller V Cook Islands Selene 53 Ocean Trawler
David Gilder Banda
Sunray II Australia Roberts Mauritius
Tony Maas Banda
Suspense Australia Roberts 53H
Jeremy Spence Kupang
Tamoure United Kingdom Oyster 435
Peter Fitch Kupang
Tara II Australia Freya 39
Steve Bullock Banda
Tasha DM Australia Roberts
Des Burns Kupang
Tea Switzerland Chassion 43 DH
Peter Neidhart Kupang
The Gadfly Australia Formosa 41
Trevor Burridge Kupang
Thetis Austria Dufour 455
Friedmann V Czerny Kupang
Thula Mama Netherlands Sparkman and Stephens
Robert Tissing Banda
Thumbs Up USA Catalina 42 Mk II
Ivan Orgee Kupang
Thyme New Zealand Ganley Solution
Simon Anderson Banda
Tin Soldier Canada Waterline
Glen Middleton Banda
Toccata I France Lagoon
Jean-Jacques Phiippon Banda
Ultimate Dream Australia Lightwave Catamaran
Richard Dackas Banda
Umbra Luna Australia Moody
Dale Clemons Banda
Varlee Australia O'Hara
Paul O'Hara Kupang
Victory Cat USA Seawind 1160
Tim Henning Kupang
Whisper HR Australia Halberg Rassy 42
Kevin Landman Kupang
Willow Australia John King Custom
Geoff Iliff Kupang
  Cancelled or Rescheduled to 2011
Cloud Nine          
Dream Seeker          
Golden Legend          
Sea Hog          
Southern Sky          


  Web support | Privacy  
Search this site | Email us